Happy May Day!! How many of you celebrated May Day when you were a kid? I'm not even sure what the original meaning of the holiday is, but it brings back so many fun memories from my childhood. We would make May baskets, fill them with candy and flowers and then take them to the neighbors house, ring the doorbell and run. That was the fun part, trying not to get caught! Every time I smell lilacs, it makes me think of May Day. It seems like the lilac bushes were always in bloom about this time, so we would pick lilacs from a neighbors bush (never even crossed our minds to ask them if we could have some of their flowers!), along with dandelions and any other flowers we could find and put in the baskets. It was usually my brothers and some of my neighborhood friends.
I did this a few years ago with Addison, but she was really too young to have fun with the running and not getting caught part. We decided to do it again this year and she loved it! We took them to several people's houses and she'd tell me how we needed to be quiet as we approached the house so they didn't hear us. We did get caught at one house and Addison said it was because we weren't fast enough! To my disappointment, there were no lilac bushes available, or any other flowers that we could find, so we used some fake flowers instead. She enjoyed helping make the baskets and filling them up. I thought I'd better write Happy May Day on the baskets in case people wondered what they were. A fun tradition that has been lost with time!
3 comments:
I thought of you today, and wanted so badly to drop a May basket on your doorstep...but then I wouldn't have wanted to sneak away! ;)
Awww...so you were the sneaky ones today that made our day! Thanks! Such a neat idea! Hunter loved the candy! I didn't grow up celebrating May Day but what a cool idea! Thanks for thinking of us!
I still remember in Parma, Michigan every May day making baskets and doing just what you were doing. Good memories!
Post a Comment