Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Times Are Changing

I'm always amazed at how fast technology changes these days.  Just last weekend at our college homecoming, we were talking about how nobody had cell phones when we were in college.  I know, I graduated from college in 2000, but that's really not that long ago.  We don't even have a home phone anymore.  Addison thought it was great fun to play with my parents "phone on the wall!"  Will Mackenna even know what that is?  It's crazy to think that just 10 years ago, not many people even had cell phones and now, there's not many people that don't have them. 

I got to thinking about this today when I read  the following article: Toddlers’ Favorite Toy: The iPhone.  I won't go into my opinions about this (that's a whole post in itself!), but it's crazy the technology our children have available to them at such young ages.  Addison is in Pre-K and she gets to use a Smart Board in her classroom.

I wonder what the newest technology will be when my girls are in high school and college?  Whatever it is, I'm sure they'll have to teach me how to use it!

3 comments:

Dianne said...

Smart boards are great.

jana said...

They are calling kids like McKenna, Addison and Finn, kids born after the mid-2000s, "Technology Natives" and the rest of us are "Technology Immigrants." Until he is three, we aren't letting Finn watch any screens (no TV, movies, computers)but he is already so interested in our iphones and laptops because he sees JJ and I on them. My 17m old nephew Porter (who also isn't allowed any screen time either) can turn on the iphone, get to the pictures and flip them or turn on music. Even kids that are purposely not exposed to it pick it up so fast. It's crazy!

Dianne said...

In my life - tv, color tv, cassettes, dvr, cds and players, 8 tracks, beta, vcr, microwave, cordless phones, dial phones, rotary phones, crank phones, digital everything, wind up clocks, solar time clocks, garage door openers, computer everything, hand brakes on bikes, automatic driving cars, manual typewritters, electric typewriters, crank mimeograph machines, copy machines, .........................................only the tip of the ice berg and I don't feel that old.