Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day

Happy Veteran's Day!
Thank you to all the men and women who have served or are currently serving our country.  You have risked your life for our freedom and for that I am very grateful.
Grandpa, 1944
 
My Grandpa was in the Army and served as a telephone operator in World War II.  He went in when he was 18 years old and was discharged when he was 21.  He didn't even get to finish his senior year of high school.  The school did give he and several other young men their diplomas though.  He has so many stories and has begun talking about it a lot in the last 5-10 years.  My Grandma still has all of the handwritten letters he sent to his parents while he was in Europe.  A few years ago our family read through all of them while we were together at Christmas.  It was so interesting!  I am proud of my grandpa and all that he did for our country and so very thankful that he made it home alive.   

Grandpa and Grandma, 1944
Grandpa and Grandma, 2006

 

Grandpa, 2000 (I love this picture!)

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Lisa, wow, I'll have to show the grands. Grandpa Myers was in the Navy too but you don't have any of his pictures. Would you like some? This is really special.

Aaron G Myers said...

Great post Lisa. Thanks for honoring Grandpa in this way. I am sure he appreciates it.