Monday, February 14, 2011

Homemade Valentine's

Addison wanted to make her own Valentine cards for her classmates.  She was asking weeks ago to make them, but I told her we would when it got closer to Valentine's Day.  On Monday, the day I was sick and not moving off the couch, she was begging to make them.  I told her I couldn't, but that didn't stop her.  She went upstairs and got the red construction paper and went to work at my desk.  She drew a heart and cut it out.  Then, she traced it 20 some times and cut them all out and wrote "From Addison" on all of them.  She glued her hearts onto the white doilies and taped a sucker on the back!  This took her quite awhile and kept her very busy!  I also signed up to bring treats to school for her Valentine party.  She helped me cut out heart shaped rice crispy treats.  We added red food coloring to the melted marshmallows.  It was super easy to make!
 



She also had to make a Valentine mailbox for school, so I took her to Hobby Lobby and let her pick a few things to decorate with.  After looking at pretty paper and paint, she decided she wanted to cover her shoebox with fabric.  She picked about 7 different fabrics she liked and stacked them all on our cart.  I told her she could only pick two.  I did guide her a little bit in trying to get her to pick the ones that looked more Valentine-y.  Then she said she wanted some "wavy ribbon" (ric rac) so I let her pick out a roll.  We had fun doing this project together.  I covered the box with the fabric and then she did the rest.  If you know me very well, you know that it was very difficult for me to not want to do it for her or to tell her what to do, but I tried extremely hard to let it be her project. 

3 comments:

Amy said...

Krispie hearts - What a great idea! And I love the box...very cute.

Liz said...

Wow, she made her valentines on her own?! That's awesome! I wonder where she gets that independence from :)
Love the treats and the box. You're such a great mom!

Dianne said...

Wow, I'm so impressed. Fun!