On Tuesday, we met with some developmental specialists because of our concern about Mackenna and her lack of talking. She turns 2 next week and right now she's really only saying two words on her own (mama and dada). She does usually repeat other words when prompted, but that's about it.
The state of Oklahoma has a wonderful early intervention program through the state department of education and the health department. They provide services, free of charge, to children ages 0-3 years. And the best part is, they come to your home. Anyhow, we know the speech/language pathologist because he is one of our youth sponsors at church. After talking with him, we decided to set up an appointment to have Mackenna tested. He came to our house yesterday, along with an occupational therapist and the case worker. Just as we thought, the tests showed she is performing right on target in every area except expressive communication. He did two different speech/language tests on her and both of them showed a significant delay in this area.
I'm not really worried about it, nor am I embarrassed that she's "behind." I'm not even frustrated with her. She actually communicates very well (just not with words) and I always know exactly what she wants. I remember being very frustrated with Addison because I didn't know what she was wanting, but that's not the case with Mackenna. More than anything, I'm frustrated with myself because I don't really know what else to do to help her. I'm with her everyday, and I really believe she just doesn't want to talk yet. Maybe she just has that laid back personality like her daddy! It cracks me up sometimes how we as parents can get so uptight about what our child "isn't" doing and compare them to other children. Every child has their own time line. It is our job as parents though to know our children and to recognize if there may be a problem and seek help for them if there is.
I'm excited to start working with the speech pathologist. He will visit us every two weeks and will do a little bit of work with Mackenna each time, but will give Travis and I the skills to know how to help her. More than anything, we want to be proactive in helping our children in every way possible. And why not, it's free and it will only help her!
Travis reminded me yesterday..."you know Einstein didn't start talking until he was 3 years old." Maybe that's the problem, we have a genius on our hands!!!
6 comments:
Way to go Lisa! Proactive is a good thing. We had Amos evaluated because he was not walking, but after a few helpful suggestions and some enocuragement he was "back on track" in no time. And now he runs almost everywhere :)
It is encouraging to hear a parent being so objective about what is going on. It drives me crazy to see those advertisements about having you child read at 1 yr. I know we had a few concerns with London being premature and so tiny but she is doing just fine.
I had a friend tell me and this probably has been the best advice - "don't compare your child to others, they are their own unique individual" That has helped me so much.
I agree with Emily about being proactive is a good thing.
You guys are great parents Lisa! My friend Deidre was worried about her son not talking also. He's in grade school now and no worries at all. He's so smart and so is Mackeena. I think she's just taking it all in and when she's ready she'll talk.
We just had Cambry tested as well -no word yet on that! We've been in your shoes, and you're right -- it's really not a big deal. We're just glad there are people who can help when its needed!
I'm so proud of you two. I always think it was a miracle any of you grew up to be normal adults. I didn't have a clue how to be a parent when we were starting out. Luck and a lot of prayers.
Mackenna is just super smart. She is letting Addison do all the talking until she herself has something very important to say!!!
Post a Comment