Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Phone Call I've Been Expecting

The phone call I've been expecting for a long time, years in fact, finally came.
At 7:00 this morning, my grandpa took his last breath and went to be with the Lord.
He died peacefully at the nursing home, surrounded by several sweet nurses who sat with him through the night, anticipating his death.
He lived 87 long and happy years.

(top left: 1944 during WWII, top right: 2000, bottom left: 1988 with me, bottom right: 2006 holding Addison)

I will miss you, Grandpa!
I'll miss your stories.
I'll miss your funny jokes.
I'll miss the time I spent with you, singing songs from your youth.
I'll miss seeing you kiss grandma goodnight.
I'll miss watching Addison crawl up into your lap and eat orange slices with you.
I'll miss the advice that you often gave Travis and I.
I'll miss all the good times I had with you.

But, I'll always have wonderful memories of you and for that I'm forever grateful.
Thank you for being such a wonderful grandfather to me, my siblings, Travis and our girls.
I will miss you!
We will miss you!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Grandpas are such a blessing! Praying for you as I know how much you miss him! Love you all.

Dianne said...

Again, thank you Lisa. We miss him too.