Sunday, January 25, 2009

Weather Question

We were watching the weather tonight and were confused about what the weather man had to say. He started out by saying we have a chance of freezing rain and sleet tomorrow that might turn into freezing drizzle later in the day. I think he may have even used a couple more terms, but I can't remember them all. Aren't freezing rain, freezing drizzle and sleet all the same thing? I always thought so, but maybe I'm wrong! Just curious.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Ready for some Oklahoma Meterology 101
1. Freezing rain- is actually liquid that freezes on contact
2. freezing drizzle is the same thing execpt it is slower-kind of a mist that freezes (makes the treese white and pretty) These two cause hazardous driving conditions as ice freezes to roads, signs, cars, etc.
3. Sleet is already frozen pellets of ice that don't really stick at first~they bounce around, sleet becomes slick as it is packed into the roads OR melts and refreezes.

Hope that helps!

Sweet Pea said...

There you have it. Thanks, Amy! I was wondering myself. Now we know. :)

Lisa said...

Freezing rain and drizzle, still sounds the same to me!! Thanks Amy!