Sunday, January 24, 2010

Oh Deer!

Friday evening, I was driving home by myself and I ran over a deer. It was a very large deer laying across my entire lane. It was dark out and I was behind a truck going about 65 mph. I think the truck in front of me went over it , so by the time I saw it, it was too late to swerve out of the way. So, I just straddled it the best I could and heard a loud thump and a big bump. I pulled over and smelled burning right away, so I called Travis. He told me, if nothing sounds funny keep driving. I sat there a few more minutes and started to smell burning deer. Let's just say, the bottom of the van had plenty of deer stuck to it and it smells disgusting. Thankfully, nothing on the van was messed up, it just smells really bad. Travis took it to the car wash, but we've left it outside of the garage the last few nights because of the smell. I'm so thankful it wasn't any worse!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Oh Yuck! :(

Sweet Pea said...

So glad you're ok and the van is too!

Cathy said...

Oh, Lisa! I'm glad you were okay!
Probably could have been much worse if you would have tried to swerve to avoid it. A deer ran out and hit our van about ten years ago when I was driving after dark. Not a fun experience!

Liz said...

I'm glad you're ok!

Robin said...

Oh gross! I'm glad it was already dead and not leaping across the road! The first time I drove our Malibu, before we were married, I hit a dog. I called Albert right away and he wanted me to check the dog for a collar/phone number. Yuk! I'm really glad you and the van are ok!