Friday, August 13, 2010

Vacation - Maine

Travis and I were able to go on a trip by ourselves at the end of June (and I'm finally writing about it!) This was the first time we've done this since having kids. We were so excited to get away for a week by ourselves and so thankful that my parents were willing to keep the girls. Thanks mom and dad! Neither of us had ever been to the northeast, so we flew into Boston, rented a car and drove up the coast of Maine. We stopped in Bath, Maine and spent a few hours visiting Robin, a friend of mine from high school.
It was fun to see her and her two kids and she even made us (actually just Travis since I don't like seafood) lobster!

From here, we drove up to Bar Harbor, which is on Mount Desert Island. This island is where Acadia National Park is located and one of the reasons we wanted to go to Maine. We stayed at a bed and breakfast, walked around the harbor, visited some of the local tourist shops and ate good food. Travis enjoyed crab cakes with his meal one evening.

The houses everywhere were beautiful!
We spent a day driving through Acadia National Park. It is beautiful! Our only disappointment of the trip was that it rained the day we were there. We had planned to go hiking, but ended up staying in the car most of the time. It was foggy too, so you couldn't see too far off shore. Oh well. Even with the rain, it was still beautiful!

After Acadia, we headed back south and stayed in the fun little town of Freeport. We went to a few outlet stores, ate some more good food and went to the 'Wicked Woopie Pie' bakery. Their woopie pies were delicious!
Loved this house!

Lots of lobster traps
Travis enjoying a lobster roll!
We hope to go back to Maine someday. I would love to take the girls and spend some time camping along the coast! After spending a few days in Maine, we headed to Boston.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Wow...looks like a fun trip. I've always wanted to go to Maine. I don't know if it's the coast, or the accents ;), or just romantic notion, but it's on my "list" of places to see. Thanks for sharing your pics!

Liz said...

Looks like a great trip. I'd love to go back east sometime in the fall. I'm glad you had a good time!

Dianne said...

We had fun with the girls and can't wait to do it again next spring.