Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Grandpa

My grandpa...
He turned 87 last month.
He moved into the nursing home in November.
We had hoped it would only be a temporary place for him to stay.
It looks as if he will stay here until the end.

I've always been close to my grandpa.
I know he's nearing the end of his life and it's hard to think about.
I find myself unsure of how to pray for him.
I would love for him to be well again and feel young.
For him to be happy.
To be pain free.
To be independent and able to take care of himself.
Yet, I know he is tired.
Tired of relying on people.
Tired of feeling like a burden.
Tired of feeling bad.
Tired of getting old.
And tired of sitting in his chair all day long with no where to go.
I went to see my grandpa last weekend.
It was so good to see him.
Each time I leave, I wonder if it will be the last time I see him.
I make sure to tell him how much I love him.

I love my grandpa and will miss him dearly when he is gone.
Until then, I pray he is comfortable and pain free.
I pray he can still find humor in things.
I pray he enjoys the time he spends with grandma each afternoon.
I pray he will receive good care.
And I pray God would give him peace as he nears the end of his life.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Lisa, your grandpa is so blessed to have you as a granddaughter. I still miss my grandpa tons and understand how hard this is for you. Praying for you and your grandpa.

Cari Myers said...

You are turning into a writer! Very nice

Dianne said...

I know you are very special to him, he always says you're his girl. I'm so thankful for how caring you are for everyone and especially your family. This is beautiful, Lisa, I know I miss him too and will be glad to be closer again.

Consuelo said...

It isn't easy to see people we love and have lived with our whole life grow old. It's so hard to have to think about a life without them there. Grandpa is a pretty special guy who has loved his family well. I'm glad you are able to see him and I'm sure your visits are something really special. Thanks for writing this. It is helpful for me to read and was beautifully written.

kathy schmidt said...

This IS beautifully written - I know it was hard for you to write; it made me think of my relationship with my dad and the things you expressed are also what I feel - your grandpa is a such a special man - Ivan and I will always have fond memories of him.