(I know this is long, but I wanted to write it all down for my own sake so I can remember what happened!)
I took Mackenna in early Thursday morning to the walk-in clinic in town. I thought she probably had a bladder infection and when I woke her up at 7:20 she had a 103.2 fever, so I gave her Tylenol. By time the nurse saw her her fever was 104.5. The doctor came in and said they needed to do an ultrasound on her kidneys as soon as possible and do lab work. She told me this was a very serious situation and that it could be a kidney infection, which isn't good, especially in a child this young. Because of the way the doctor reacted, I was a little scared.
So, the ultrasound guy got us in first thing, the lab drew her blood and we tried to get her to give us a urine sample. She refused to go potty so they had to put a catheter in to get the urine sample. She didn't make a peep when they drew her blood, but she did not like the catheter at all. Then the same nurse came back in and gave her a shot and of course at this point she really didn't like the shot! They sent us home with a prescription and instructions to come back on Monday morning to do another urine sample.
I kept a pull-up on her all day Thursday since it was hurting her so much to go potty. Around 3:30, I checked and her diaper was still almost dry and she had been drinking quite a bit. I called and left a message for the nurse to let her know. She called me back and said the doctor had consulted with several other doctors and they felt we needed to head to OU Childrens Hospital right away. They had talked to the head pediatric doctor here at the hospital and all agreed she needed to be hospitalized.
I frantically called Travis who was an hour away at a basketball game and had the van. I told him he needed to head to OKC right away. Then I started going through a bunch of names in my head of who I could call to take me to the city and who I could call to take Addison. I called Darla thinking she could keep Addison and she ended up just driving us to meet Travis along the way and then took Addison home with her.
When we got here, we checked in at the emergency room and they said they had all of our paperwork and were waiting for us on the 10th floor. So we came up to our room and here we sit, waiting to be released so we can go home!
Because of her fever, we weren't able to go home today. They want to see her go 24 hours with no fever before we go home. I'm praying she doesn't get a fever during the night.
3 comments:
So glad to hear that Mackenna got to come home today. Scary times! Praying for a healthy week in your household! :)
So glad you're all home, safe and sound and well, or at least better. God is good.
I am so sorry to hear this, Lisa! I can't imagine how scary this was. You all have our prayers!
Post a Comment