Thursday, November 15, 2012

35

Today I turned 35.
The girls were more excited about my birthday than I was!
It's funny how when you get older, it's just another day, not that exciting anymore.
(Yes, I know...I'm like a high school kid taking a picture of myself!! Keeping with the theme of 10 years, I thought it may be fun to look back in 10 years to see if I look any older!)
As I was pouring my cereal this morning, I started thinking about what my birthday was like 10 years ago.
I'm not sure why 10, but probably because it seems as if whenever talking about the future, people always say "what do you think you'll be doing in 10 years?"

And so, the list in my head began......
10 years ago, I was not eating bran cereal for breakfast!
I was living in Oregon.
We didn't have any kids, and I still felt so young and carefree.
I was teaching and coaching middle school kids every day.
I was thinner than I am now.
I was driving a car, not a mini van!
We were paying off school loans.
I could eat a piece of candy whenever I wanted and didn't have to hide it or share.

The list could go on, but it made me think about what a great time this is in my life.

I'm in good health.
I have two wonderful girls.
I have an amazing husband.
My kids are little and still hold my hand and let me give them kisses and tuck them into bed.
I can run and play with my kids and still keep up with them.
I am able to stay home with my children.
My kids still tell me everything.
I'm more confident than I was 10 years ago.
I have a great family who gets along and loves each other.
I have made so many wonderful, life-long friendships.
We love where we live and have a wonderful church family.

Yes, I may be older, but I've learned so much over the last 10 years and have grown and changed in so many ways.
And I wouldn't change it for the world!
And no matter where I am in life or how old I am, my Jesus still loves me, despite the stretch marks and bran flakes!!

I was talking with Travis today about where we see ourselves in 10 years.
It's fun to dream!
And imagine the next 10 years.

Since we're both 35 now, I thought it would be fun to make a list of 40 things we want to do before we're 40.
We'll see if I can talk him into doing it with me!

Maybe I'll post my list when I finish it!
But for now, I'm going to go eat another piece of my amazingly delicious peanut butter pie with chocolate crust and watch a movie!
Travis knows just what I love!

3 comments:

Hayley said...

Happy Birthday, Lisa! How is it we're 35? I feel like it was just yesterday we were all in school at Tabor. Dad and Mom told me about Travis milking the cows with his dad for the last time, and I got choked up. Dad just sold his cows, so it hit home. He might buy more later, but it wasn't easy on him. Best wishes for a great year!

Dianne said...

The day you were born was so hectic and scary at times because you were breach, and then there you were, beautiful, healthy and a girl. We thought we only had boys. You are such a blessing and we thank God every day for the privilege it's been to have you in our family. We love you Lisa and are so proud of the Godly woman you've become.

Amy said...

Happy Birthday friend! You look TOO young to be 35! ;) I loved your post. It's amazing how things change so quickly. And it's crazy to think about 10 years into the future. Yikes. Daniel will be a senior. Okay. Now I'll have to crawl under my covers for a while...or just be thankful that I have TEN years before that happens! ;)