Friday, November 16, 2012

The Cows Are Gone

After 25+ years of being a dairy farmer, Travis' dad sold his dairy cows.  You don't know how big this is!  In fact, it still seems a little unbelievable to me! 
He has never had a hired hand, so for all these years, he's never missed a milking.  Three o'clock in the morning, 3 o'clock in the afternoon, every day for the last 25 some years. 
Last Thursday was the big day. He sold them to a farmer who was sending a semi truck to pick up the whole herd. Travis and his brothers were there for the day to help their dad get them all loaded. 
Travis is the youngest of 3 boys, so when his dad started milking years ago, he was the only son who really ever helped his dad milk. He would milk one side of the barn and his dad would do the other.

Travis thought it would be fun to help his dad with the last milking.  He wanted it to be a surprise, so he left here around 10:00 Wednesday night.  He got to the farm around 1:00 in the morning.  They had no idea he had pulled the van onto the back drive and was walking around on the yard checking to see if his dad was up yet.  He waited until he heard the milk barn come on and drove the van up and shined his lights into the barn.  His dad came out, blinded by the lights and Travis said, "let's go, I'm ready to milk!"  To which his dad responded, "What the h**l, you crazy fool!" I think he was shocked to see him! I'm just glad Travis didn't give him a heart attack! Off they went to milk, just like old times, his dad milked one side of the barn and Travis did the other.
It's going to be really strange for awhile.  His dad will wake up in the middle of the night for who knows how long.  We'll be able to have family gatherings whatever time of the day we want!  Everything has always been scheduled around the milk schedule...our wedding was in the evening because of the cows!  And the biggest thing for us is that his dad will get to come visit us!!  He has never seen where we live or been in our house...ever.  I can't even imagine him sitting in my living room!
We never thought it was going to happen. It's still hard to believe!
I think the brothers had a great time and enjoyed sharing this special day with their dad.
Here's Ivan, looking up at the last cow being loaded onto the semi.  I think it looks like he was looking at them, saying his last goodbye, maybe a tear in his eyes.  I told this to Travis and he laughed and said, "no, not my dad."  Well, I guess he thinks his dad is too tough, but I know Ivan and he does have a soft spot!
From left: Travis, Ivan (his dad), Jake (middle brother), Archie (Ivan's brother), Durango (oldest brother)
Thanks to Travis' mom for the pictures!  None of us daughter-in-laws were able to be there, so we told her to take lots of pictures!

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

I vividly remember the day my dad gave Ivan his very first brown swiss as he left my dad's dairy to start his own! We were all there to see that little beauty leave the farm with Ivan!

Megan said...

It feels strange for us, too, across the road! I wish we would have been around last Thursday to watch!

Dianne said...

This still makes me tear up when i saw the pictures. Thanks so much for sharing the day with us all.