The month of October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I heard some startling statistics the other day - 1 out of 8 women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer and of those diagnosed, 70% of them will NOT have a family history. The good news is that 81% of those diagnosed with breast cancer will still be alive after 10 years.In the spring of 1996, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She found a lump herself after having a mammogram less than 6 months before. I still remember clearly that afternoon when she got the phone call from the doctor saying that it was cancer. It was a complete shock to all of us. After undergoing a lumpectomy, which showed that the cancer had spread to some of her lymph nodes, she went through several months of chemotherapy and then 6 weeks of daily radiation. This was one of the most difficult times of my life. I remember the days after chemotherapy where she would be in bed for about a week following each treatment. I remember driving her to some of her chemo and radiation appointments and sitting with her through the treatment, surrounded by other patients going through the same thing. I remember our pastor coming to our house just hours after we received the phone call and sitting with us while we cried and praying with us. I remember all the people from our church and community who prayed for my mom and brought us meals. I remember wondering about the future and what the outcome would be. I remember seeing my dad weep when we heard the news. I remember the fear it created in me. I remember questioning how something like this could happen. But most of all, I remember crying when I shaved my mom's head because her hair was falling out as a result of the chemotherapy. It was an experience we shared together that I will never forget. 

This picture is of my mom and I during the summer of 1997. It is one of my favorite pictures of the two of us. I think one of the reasons this picture is so special to me is because it was taken fairly soon after she had finished all of her treatments and was probably one of the first pictures of her after her hair began to grow back.
About a year ago, I saw a show on TV that caused me to reflect back on the experience of my mom losing her hair. I was inspired to grow my hair out to donate to a company that makes wigs for people who've lost their hair. I checked into "Locks of Love" which makes wigs for financially disadvantaged children who suffer from hair loss for any medical reason. I decided to donate my hair to "Pantene Beautiful Lengths" which creates free wigs for women who have lost their hair due to cancer treatment. Well, today was the day! I got about 9 1/2 inches cut off. I was nervous about how short it may turn out, but am very happy with the outcome! It feels so much better and will be so much easier to do every day. Here are some before and after pictures.




My mom is an inspiration to me. She has more strength and courage than anyone I know. She is an amazing woman with incredible faith in God. I am SO thankful to still have my mom here with me today and can happily say that she is 12 YEARS CANCER FREE!!! Praise the Lord! I love you mom and am proud to be your daughter!
7 comments:
LISA, I'M SITTING HERE CRYING AS I READ. IT WAS AN INTERESTING TIME WASN'T IT, TO SAY THE LEAST. I READ A BOOK ONE TIME ABOUT A WOMAN'S EXPERIENCE WITH CHEMO AND I CAN REMEMBER SAYING, "I COULD NEVER DO THAT". WE NEVER KNOW, DO WE! I'M AMAZED TO THIS DAY AT THE STAMINA WE HUMANS HAVE. WE JUST DO WHAT WE HAVE TO DO AND GO ON. THE VERSE THAT HELPED ME THE MOST WAS 1 THES. 5:18 - GIVE THANKS IN all CIRCUMSTANCES, FOR THIS IS GOD'S WILL FOR YOU IN CHRIST JESUS! THAT MEANS GOOD and BAD.
YOU WERE SUCH A HELP AND SUPPORT TO ME THAT I FELT BAD TO HAVE YOU GO THROUGH IT. BUT I GUESS THAT'S WHAT FAMILIES ARE FOR. YOU ARE THE BEST DAUGHTER ANY WOMAN COULD HOPE AND PRAY FOR. I GIVE THANKS FOR YOU ALWAYS. MUCH, MUCH LOVE,
MOM
Your new hair cut looks great! What a wonderful gift you have created for someone at the most difficult times in their life.
Hey girl,
Thanks for sharing your mom's story. My mom also went through a time without hair, but it was before I was born. I am in the process of growing my hair out. Would you mind sending me some info on the company you donated to. I love your new hair cut and the story behind it!
Your hair looks so cute. What an awesome story you have. Thanks for sharing it. So, glad your Mom is doing great!
Lisa, You did a great job of telling your story. I'm so glad you have your Mom with you today. A mother/daughter relationship is truly one to cherish!! What a blessing to have a Godly mother that has set an example for you, and in turn I know that you are passing on the heritage of faith to Addison.
Oh,. . . and the haircut looks really great on you!
You had me crying! Thanks for sharing! Your hair looks great!!
Okay, your middle brother is crying now too. Thanks for writing it down. You were a rockstar through those times. Your hair looks great too.
Post a Comment