Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Talk to Someone

I was reading a friends blog this morning and what she wrote really hit home with me.  She challenged her readers to be a friend today and talk to someone you wouldn't normally talk to.  It made me think back to the three times we have moved in our lives.  It's not easy being the new one in town.  Everyone already has their group of friends they hang out with and it can be hard to feel like you belong or fit in.  It is often very lonely.  I have appreciated so much the friends I have made here and that they have accepted me into their circle of friends. 

Thinking about this took me back to yesterday afternoon at the pool.  I had called a friend that I hadn't seen in a while to see if she and her kids wanted to go to the pool.  Once we got there, I saw another friend of mine there.  She just moved here from out of state a few months ago and has two little girls.  Our girls had swimming lessons at the same time last week so we got to know each other a little bit.  I hate to admit it, but selfishly, I just wanted to sit with my friend and catch up with each other.  But, as I sat there, I kept thinking back to when I was the new one in town.  I would see other ladies I knew hanging out together and I wanted to be included.  I just wanted someone to talk to, to feel like I had a friend.  (As I write this, it almost seems elementary, but I think most everyone can relate to wanting to have a friend, even as an adult.)  I did eventually invite my new friend to come sit with us and I hope it made her day a little better to have someone to talk to.  I hope she felt like she was included.  I just wish I could take away the selfish thoughts I had at the beginning!

It was a great reminder for me to hear this morning.  I'm not always the best at getting out of my comfort zone and talking to people I don't know.  It can feel awkward and sometimes even intimidating.  But, you never know how it will impact the other person.  So, I too want to challenge all of you to...
BE A FRIEND TODAY and
TALK TO SOMEONE YOU WOULDN'T NORMALLY TALK TO!

2 comments:

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

such a good reminder!!

i wanted to let you know that the ruler on the wall (in my post about the map) was from pottery barn about 6 years ago when it was on clearance. it isn't supposed to be a growth chart, but that's what i bought it for. you could easily make one with a 6 ft long 2x4 though. it's just painted out to look old. hope that helps. ;)

Nic said...

Enjoyed your post - you and I know how hard it is to adjust to a new set of friends!! I got an email from a neighbor in UT and was just BLOWN away at how much she trusts me with info. on her life that she doesn't share with others - all i did was make myself available by stepping outside of my house each day. Nothing much! I just don't get it!
Got an email from Deb today - did you stay home from this mission trip?? That's always hard not to go. Sounded like a great place to be. hope they have great time!