Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Two Recipes

We love rice, so I thought I'd share two recipes that we enjoy at our house.  The first one, Travis found on the internet (can't remember the website).  We had some leftover pork chops, so he found this recipe and we had just the right amount of pork left.  We've had it several times since then and really like it...and it's easy!  I'm sure you could probably use chicken too if you wanted.

Cantonese Pork
2 pounds pork (cut in strips)
2 T. vegetable oil
1 onion
8 oz. tomato sauce
3 T. brown sugar
1 1/2 t. vinegar
1 1/2 t. salt
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
Rice
Heat the oil and brown the pork.  Place all (except rice) in the crock pot on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.  Serve over white rice.  (We usually make 1 cup of rice for our family.)

Poppy Seed Chicken (this recipe is a favorite and is from my friend Cathy)
2-3 cups of chicken, cooked and cut up (I actually use less)
2 cans cream of chicken
1 cup sour cream
8 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 1/2 T. poppy seeds
2 sleeves crushed Ritz crackers
1 cup melted butter
1 1/2 T. poppy seeds
2 boxes Uncle Ben's long grain wild rice, original style (I usually buy the cheaper brand)

Grease 9 x 13 pan.  Prepare rice as instructed on box;  spread in pan.  Top with chicken chunks.  In medium bowl, combine soups, sour cream, cheese and 1 1/2 T. poppy seeds.  Spread on top of chicken in pan.  In medium bowl, stir together the cracker crumbs, 1 1/2 T. poppy seeds and butter.  Sprinkle on top of soup mixture.  Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly and browned (approx. 30-45 minutes).
**I usually don't use as much poppy seeds as it calls for.
**You can divide this into two 8x8 pans if you want and freeze one. It freezes well.

No comments: