I came across an article last night that really made me think. It had to do with how we prepare our homes for guests. I am one who likes my house to be in order and fairly clean, especially when having company. Having kids has helped me loosen up a lot though! We love having people into our home and always want them to feel comfortable and welcome. I used to stress out a lot about cleaning and cooking when having people over. I don't stress much about it anymore, but I still like to spend time preparing before they come. When I read the following, I was challenged to prepare differently before people come into my home.
When we try to make everything perfect and impress our guests, their visit becomes all about us. When we lay down our pride, pray for them and serve them in the ways that THEY need, their visit is about them and THAT’s what makes people feel loved and at home.
I am challenged to lay down my pride about what my house looks like and serve my guests in a way that makes them feel loved and meets their needs. I want them to feel at home.
If you'd like to read the entire article, you can click on this link.
The Best (and Most Overlooked) Way to Prepare Our Home for Guests
3 comments:
Such a great reminder! I had one friend stop by several weeks ago & the kitchen & living room look like it had exploded with piles of clean & dirty laundry, toys scattered, and no countertops to be seen. But I tried to pretend I was relaxed & just moved things onto the carpet to make room for her & I on the couch. We sat & talked & I tried NOT to apologize for the state of my house. ;) She left with a "So nice to talk to you!" and I realized that was what was most important. Letting go of my freaking out to meet her need for a visit & break from her "everyday". NOT easy for me to do though. ;)
Thanks for sharing this!! I was just thinking about that very concept this morning. I have A LOT of people coming to our house this weekend. It is so very easy for me to get caught up in all the physical stuff. I was thinking that I just needed to spend more time praying about it & not worry about all the other stuff - it will get done.
Now, Lisa, be sure to take your own advise!!!!!
And me too!
Post a Comment