Monday, September 12, 2011

14 Years Ago...

September 12, 1997...I was a sophomore in college, 19 years old, busy going to classes, playing volleyball and studying.  It was a Friday night and the Kansas State Fair had just started, so Travis and I were going on a date to check out the fair.  After practice and a quick shower, Travis came to pick me up.  I remember him telling me there was a big sunflower field right outside of town and that we should stop and take some pictures on our way.  Of course, that led me back into my dorm room to grab my camera.  (He knew that I've always loved big fields full of sunflowers, they are beautiful!)  Well, little did I know, Travis had a plan.  
Took a picture of a picture in my photo album, so it's blurry. If you look closely at the black dot in the middle sticking up over the sunflowers, that's Travis' head!
Still on our way to the fair, we stopped at the field outside of town.  Travis pulled into the field drive, got out of the car and took off out into the field.  Didn't even wait for me...I remember thinking that was a little strange!  As I was walking out to where he was, taking some pictures as I went, I saw him down on his knees, as if he were looking for something in the dirt.  This is when it occurred to me what might actually be about to happen.  He said something to me about coming to see what he had found.  When I got there, he was down on one knee with a beautiful ring in his hands.  He told me a bunch of stuff...how much he loved me, what I meant to him, how he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me...I really wish I had it recorded!  Then he asked me to marry him and I said yes! 

one of our engagement photos

I remember how shaky I was and I just kept staring at the ring.  We had dated for 4 years already, so I knew it would happen sometime, but we never went ring shopping together.  I didn't want to.  I thought it would be more of a surprise that way and more meaningful if he picked out a ring for me all on his own.  And he did awesome, I loved it!  And then I started asking lots of questions...you talked to my dad didn't you? what did he say? when did you get the ring? does anybody else know?  I'm sure there were a million more!  Of course, I wanted to go tell my parents right away, I was so excited.  After telling them, we went and told Travis' parents.  Then we drove over to Hutchinson, where the fair was, and ate at Applebee's to celebrate.  After eating, we went to his brother Jake's house to tell he and Liz.  We never did make it to the fair that night, but I was perfectly fine with that!

I couldn't have been more excited that night!  And now, after 13 years of marriage, I'm so thankful that he popped the question that day.  God has blessed me with a wonderful husband, a best friend, a spiritual leader in our home, an awesome father and a man who loves Jesus.  And...he still makes me laugh, just as much as the day I met him!  I love you Travis!

4 comments:

Dianne said...

This is wonderful. I didn't remember the date. Thank you for sharing.

Liz said...

I'm so glad he did too. I'm so blessed to have you as my sister in law. Miss you guys!

Randy Wertenberger said...

You guys look sooooo young in that picture!! Ha! I remember that day--seems like a lifetime ago :)
Amy

kathy schmidt said...

My favorite story... !!!