Allowances. To do or not to do, that is the question. Growing up, I never got an allowance. It was expected in our home that everyone do their part. We had certain things we were expected to do because we were a part of the family. In turn, when there was something I needed, my parents usually got it for me. I agree with this way of thinking. Too often, I think kids expect to be paid or earn something for everything they do. They don't learn the value of doing something for someone without expecting anything in return.
I know some people who give their children allowances each week. Out of this allowance, they are expected to save some of it, give some of it as their tithe and use the rest however they like. I think this is an awesome way of teaching kids about tithing and it can start at such a young age. It is also a great way to teach them about saving and spending money. I also agree with this way of thinking.
Travis and I have talked about it before and see value in both ways. I've been thinking about it lately because I started using a "chore" chart with Addison and she loves getting stickers on it each day. She also loves to give her offering at church each week. This would be a perfect opportunity to give a small allowance if we wanted to.
I must also say that even though my parents didn't give us an allowance, they certainly taught us about tithing and were an example to me in their own personal giving. So, even if you don't give your children an allowance there are still ways you can teach them about tithing.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. What does your family do? Why did you decide to do it this way? Were you taught about tithing as a child?
Also, I saw this video a few months back of a 4 year old talking about tithing. Check it out, I thought it was good!
2 comments:
I was not taught about tithing as a child and we aren't really great at being consistent with our littles on chores, but we are working on that. Most of the time the boys are expected to help and do little things. Occasionally I'll tell them that they can earn a quarter by doing the chore completely and without complaining. I want them to learn how to handle money but not to think that money is the greatest thing ever. Albert made C pay for half a roll of toilet paper that he unwound (50 cents) and I was surprised at what a big deal it was to C. I keep telling them they are saving up for a car or engagement ring, maybe a down payment on a house. I don't know if any of that will help, but it's what we are working towards.
So funny that you posted on this becuase I've been thinking of asking some of these same questions on my blog. I'm like you I see value in both ways . . . i didn't get an allowance either and I learned to tithe and I do want my kids to help because they are part of the family and not just for money but i also like the idea of them having some ways to earn money so they can save for things ect. I've been trying something out that seemed to please both sides of my views. It took me forever to come up with jobs and everything. I sort of analyzed it all to death. It's working good but may need to tweak it or change it up sometime too. The kids all have "responsibilities" that they all must do (pick up toys and take plate to counter after meals) then they all have a "responsibility" for the week that is just for them, we rotate the "responsibility" each week (help load dishwasher, help unload dishwasher, set table, and sweep floor after dinner) then I made a little sheet on the fridge that says "JOBS AVAILABLE" and I listed several things they could do if they wanted to earn some money. (help sort socks, dust etc) Pay day is on Saturday so if they want to earn money they can do one of these jobs during the week. We pay them in quarters. They get the same number of quarters as their age. I'll be checking your comments to see what other ideas people have!! My sister in law has chores for their kids and if they do them they get paid if she does them for them they have to pay her for maid service. HA! Ian has a piggy bank that is a football and is divided into four sections. . . . save, spend, tithe (i think it actually says donate but we use it as tithe), and invest (we told his this is for college, not that he really puts much in that).
Post a Comment